Sunday, November 16, 2008

Redman

I originally just planned to do 1 half ironman distance race this summer. Then a local one popped up in early summer, so I had to do that one. Then as fate would have it, I decided to do another late season race near the end of September.

The Redman in Oklahoma City. Nancy and I did this race 2 years ago and it was one of the best organized and passion filled race we've ever been to. All the volunteers and the race director cared so much about the athletes and making sure their experience was top notch. So I was really looking forward to going back. Last time I really struggled on the last 1/3 of the run and came hobbling down the finish chute. This time I was hoping for my best race of the season since the prior two did not go the way I would have liked.

Long story short. It was a great race and I did as well as I could have hoped for.
I felt great on each leg and was able to push through to he finish feeling pretty good. Started to tighten up the last mile but that's to be expected and it didn't effect my overall time. I finally broke the elusive 5hr mark so that made me really happy. It was a long summer of training and I know I won't have nearly the time next summer, so ending on a high note made it all worth it.
There were several people from KC that also made the trip down, so it was nice to see familiar faces. It made the competition tough in my age-group with Jared Kuntz and Tim O'Donnell. We take masters swim together so there was some light hearted pre race smack talk going on. The three of us took 2,3,4 in our age group, so that was pretty cool. We'll have fun racing against each other in the years to come.

Lining up to start thing off.















We're off!!!
















I made it through the swim and getting ready to head out on the bike.















Done with bike and getting ready for the run.















Ahhhh!!! The finish is in sight!!!!!!!!!
















My buddy Chip and I resting afterward waiting to be seating for dinner. Chip did the Aquabike (swim, bike) and had a great day as well. He had some leg issues this year that prevented him from running. I look forward to his recovery for next year.














Enjoying the view of the lake with Nancy who has been a huge supporter this summer even though she could not participate again this year. I look forward to being able to see her race again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you were enjoying the patio of the RedRock Canyon Grill...Daren and I were both in OKC in early Oct and had dinner there for the first time.

Enjoyed the pictures! Leslie