Saturday, October 25, 2008

Long Overdue - Steelhead 70.3, er...69.1, er...

On August 2, I participated in what was supposed to be the Steelhead 70.3 triathlon in Benton Harbor, MI. Jeff Davis, Chip Ufford, and Jerry Pullins, Molly Ash, Ben Schloegel, Pat Beesley also came up from the KC area.

Friday, the before the race, it was warm and calm winds and the water was great to swim in.

Unfortunately on race day the winds picked up significantly and Lake Michigan causing a bad riptide and sideways current and white caps all over the place. The couldn't even get the swim course marked with the appropriate buoys, so they eventually decided to cancel the swim.

They quickly came up with a 2.1 mile run and then we did the almost complete bike (54 miles instead of 56 because they had to reroute due to the first run) and full half marathon, 13.1 miles.

At first I was really bummed out that we had travelled so far and trained for a triathlon and we wouldn't be able to do it. But I knew once I started the first run, the competitive juices would start flowing and I'd put forth my best effort.

I was really happy with my bike split and even happier with my run split given that the last race in June I complete cramped up. I was able to keep a good pace the entire way being just a few seconds off my goal pace.

Crew before start













My brother Craig, wife Joanna and son Jonathan made the trip up from Ohio to watch. That was really nice to see them and have them there to support. Even better though, less than a week later, Craig was inspired to buy a pair of running shoes and has done three 5k run races since. So that is awesome.







Lake at start of race. Doesn't even do it justice. But it is weird to think that this is a lake and not the ocean. Just a really big lake.











Finishing first run, still very fresh after just a 2.1 mile run.












Finishing the bike. Stomach not feeling too good, felt like I need to puke. Nancy screaming something with her arms stetched out.











This one is a good action shot starting the half marathon. It's what I felt like doing, but it is just water as I passed through the aid station. Fortunately I was able to feel better had a great run.







Coming down the finsh. The guy right behind me latched onto me as I passed him .5 miles out and drafted right until the last minute and sprinted by me. Yes it is possible to draft while running and with the strong winds that day it definitely would have made a difference.

Jeff's was racing to honor his dad who has been going through a bout with cancer. He had several family members present to support him. It was a great feat for Jeff to cross that finish line and very emotional.









Post race ice bath. I could only muster to get my ankles and calves in. Chip as you can see isn't having much fun. Jeff got in later as well.

No comments: